Wednesday 9 November 2011

Hand processes workshop




Practising simple hand stitches, doing both south to north and east to west. Then I created this piece using bonding material, to trap loose thread between two sheets of fabric and then stick those together. I then stitched on top of this the different ways of stitching I have just learnt. The clusters of cross stitches reminded me of clusters of rocks. 


The piece above that I made entirely of French knots was inspired by this painting by Bridget Riley called 'Fragments'. I am amazed by how she creates movement in her work through placing a few shapes together. I wanted to try and emulate that movement in my piece.

 This piece is a practice of me doing the herringbone stitch on a piece of fabric for embellishment and also to connect two separate pieces of material together. I found this quite interesting to learn especially being able to connect two pieces together as this doesn't have to be fabric.

This a small example of drawn thread work, I would like to learn more on this in the future although I did find it very hard to do. It gives a nice texture and I like that I could do it with any natural fabric. I would like to see if I could create one with a mixture of two different fabrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment