Tuesday 28 February 2012

Liverpool trip

I saw a lot of interesting work in Liverpool, especially in the Tate, Walker gallery and the Open Eye Gallery. These are just a few of my favourite pieces.


This piece is called 'Mirage' created by Michael Raedecker, from the John Moore prize winners exhibit in the Walker Gallery. I like this piece because of the unexpected use of thread where usually would be paint. I also like his use of murky colours. I also like how he uses his knowledge of embroidery to create different surfaces appearing like shadows and images. 



'Slump/Fear' (Orange/Black) by Alexis Harding was also part of the John Moore prize winners exhibit. I liked this piece because of the bold colours and it wasn't obvious how it had been made. It initially reminded me of what thin fabric goes like when you cover it in glue and leave in to dry in an obscure way. But he actually created it by pouring oil paint onto primed MDF, then while this was still wet, poured over gloss paint through a perforated guttering, creating the grid. He then tilted the board and moved the paint with his fingers to force the two layers against each other. I like the texture he has created with other two layers of paint, it looks really bold. 




I also liked the work of the Martin brothers, how you could clearly see there inspiration of nature in there ceramic work. I like there use of colour and shape, everything inspired by nature. These were in the Walker Gallery.


I also liked this piece 'Cross' by Mary Martin, also in my John Moore prize winners exhibit. I thought her use of material and shape worked really well together, because of the reflection of the shiny surface and the angular shapes, they created other shapes in the reflections. 




These are just some of Philip Treacy's hat blocks. I found these really interesting to look at as I have always admired his work and the unusual forms that he creates.














No comments:

Post a Comment