Saturday 18 February 2012

Butterfly ink prints

For some of my photoshop pieces I had started editing this photo as I love these print designs as they remind me of some of Alexander McQueen's pieces from his spring/ summer 2010 collection which I had admired so much.





I then found the work of Timorous Beasties who is a wallpaper designer, his blue and white piece reminded me of the Rorschach ink blot tests which were used in psychological testing and also of the butterfly printing you were taught to do as a child. I decided to create my own butterfly prints using the same colours from my postcard. Only a few came out effective as it was hard getting the marks to be bold and dark enough but also slightly detailed to make them more interesting. I then decided to scan these into the computer and edit them on photoshop. I again use the same colours from my postcard, sometimes editing them to make the layers look more interesting. I used all my butterfly prints and selected the most detailed layers to combine differently to create different pieces. I found this worked very effectively and was very simple to do.
The piece of wallpaper I was inspired by, created by Timorous Beasties.


One of my butterfly prints I used to work on in photoshop, and some of my photoshop work below.


I like how the unevenness of the paint has created movement in layers in my photoshop pieces. I also tried putting my patterns horizontal but this didn't seem to work as well as I felt that the pattern needed to be more detailed but I didn't have enough pattern layers to create this.












No comments:

Post a Comment