Thursday 15 March 2012

Initial Ideas

For my initial ideas I thought about when I moved to Manchester and how nervous I was and thought that other future students will also feel like this. You want the community areas in the new building to feel comforting and somewhere the students can relax. This then made me think of being snuggled in my bed, nice and warm, I want to design a place like this for students, to make the concrete area somewhere softer and warmer. I take a lot of inspiration from nature as it has been around me my whole life and I think it is so beautiful. It reminded me of chicks being in a nest, huddled up warm together. I want to take inspiration for my designs from birds to create somewhere comforting and relaxing for students. I started my initial research in the Special Collections, where I found a book of bird paintings by Brian Wildsmith. I like the colours he uses in his work so I would like to take inspiration from this, I think I will choose one of his paintings and do a colour scheme for my project from that.
Tumblr_krpcrwjosb1qzhl9eo1_500
Also found other books with interesting facts on birds, and also some just on information on different types of birds nests and materials they use to build them. I have now started to do research in books and journals, looking at everything from interiors, garden, jewellery, sculpture and architecture to textiles.
Sdc10125
I liked this piece someone has been working on in hotspur house, I imagined lining it with thick wadding and then decorating the outside and in like a natural haven.

No comments:

Post a Comment