Monday 28 October 2013

Stage 3 Analysis


     Jeffrey Simmons creates unique watercolour paintings using mapped drawings and rotation devices. http://www.jeffreysimmonsstudio.com/ I was drawn to his intense use of colour and the impression of motion and depth, these are things I aim to create in my work. His planned drawings reminded me of my plans for my 3D forms, so I decided I wanted to explore another aspect of his work, repetition. Using dyes and inks on a sheet of ice I explored using the square ends of match sticks to draw continuous lines. I found the outcome to be eerie, with qualities of Jeffrey Simmons work, having sections of intense colour and sections of bleakness.
     As my photographs have been successful I have decided to create a photography book including a collection of my best photographs over the Practice project to help promote myself as a designer; I will begin this near the end of the project when I feel content about my collection of photographs and I have finished experimenting with ice photography.

Jeffrey Simmons. Preparatory drawing for watercolour painting. [Online image] [Accessed 22 October 2013] http://jeffreysimmons.tumblr.com/

Jeffrey Simmons. Works on paper. [Online image] [Accessed 22 October 2013] http://www.jeffreysimmonsstudio.com/


     As part of my development between my 3D forms and photography I decided to create larger scale 3D forms and project my photographs onto them so they had more surface to sit on and the audience could clearly see the detail in them. I tested using both clean white paper for my 3D forms and also some where you could see the drawn plans. The projections where you could see the drawn plans didn't work as well because the lines took away from the detail of the photographs. I decided to edit some photographs so the images blended into the drawn plans, I thought these worked effectively and had drawn qualities about them, therefore I would like to try and combine some of my drawings with my photography when I am creating my design collection.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment