Monday 24 September 2012

Initiating research

As I didn't have a clear idea for my concept I decided I needed to do a lot of research to help me decide. I started researching the main areas of

  • fashion
  • wallpaper
  • lace
  • interiors
  • pattern
I started my research in the library looking at different books on these topics. One artist that I was instantly interested in was Angel Chang, who's work appears to be just normal fashion clothing apart from a few quite extraordinary changes!
This piece was inspired by the artist Bob Ross, a glow in the dark jacket in case you ever got lost searching for the landscapes Bob Ross paints. Glow in the dark fabric usually looks cheap and not like an expensive one off jacket at all.
This dress was inspired by the women spies in World War 2, this dress would have inabled them to walk around with the map on their body, when the fabric is warmed up by the body heat of the woman the print of the map becomes visible. This was made possible with heat sensitive ink.
   
One print designer that I liked was Hanna Werning, her prints are inspired by nature and seem to have a friendly feel to them because of the bold shapes and warm colours. But their is a child like simplicity to her work which I don't want with mine, I want my work to feel more sophisticated.


I also really like the work of Alistair McAuley and Paul Simmons who are the founders of company Timorous Beasties. I like there combination of old and new designs with there use of colour with grey tones, mimicking old fashioned wall papers and fabrics.




No comments:

Post a Comment