Monday 2 January 2012

Yorkshire Sculpture Park

Although some of the outdoor sculptures didn't give me any inspiration for my work, I found a lot of the crafts pieces interesting. One artists work I found very interesting was Audrey Reid's, who combines crocheting, semi- precious stones and silver. I have now thought how I could trap my knitting between things such as cling film or felt.

I also liked the work of Danny Rie, who had hand knitted pendants out of wire to go on necklaces, I like how messy and intricate they looked. I also like how he didn't leave them a plain circular flat shape to lie on the chest, he makes them more interesting by giving them shape. I want to try giving my samples more shape.

I liked the whimsical pieces of felt jewellery by Joanne Edwards. I like the bright in your face colours with the unusual shapes. I also liked Angela O' Keefe's work as she challenges the belief that all jewellery should be made with precious metals. 

 One of Joanne Edwards broaches.

 Some of Angela O' Keefe's jewellery made from salt, combined with resin and silver.

I also liked the curvy shapes and bold colours of Anne Laycock's sculptures which appear to suggest imprisonment but actually takes beautiful shapes from everyday objects. I like the lines she creates with the smooth glossy surface of the clay. I could imagine drawing the lines and shapes of these sculptures in the same way I could draw my pieces of knit, following the lines of the stitches.






No comments:

Post a Comment