Monday 2 January 2012

Beginning shape knitting

I wanted to start experimenting with shape in my knitting as jewellery often includes a lot of different shapes. I wanted to include this with more experimentation of metallic surfaces. I first tried using a music tape to knit with as I thought it would be smooth and easy to manoeuvre and control, but I found that it was very weak and broke easily so I gave up with that material. So I decided to try using a video tape which worked very well and didn't work as easily. At first I just wanted to start creating shapes so the first piece is more of a experiment.


After finding that on the back of this piece where I have had to tie knots where the stitches have broken looks interesting with the extra layers, I decided to create another sample of this. I wanted the loose pieces of video tape to stand out so I decided to paint these in a gold glittery paint, this makes it look more illuminant and lightens the bold thick blackness the knitted tape creates, making it more alluring. I also liked how the tape seemed to reflect light so I decided to apply silver leaf where light would hit the sample the most, making it more luxuriant and eye catching.   



No comments:

Post a Comment