Wednesday 2 April 2014

Stage 2 Analysis

     I applied for a job advertised on the Print & Pattern job board; a home textiles print designer at Riva Home. Riva Home are one of the largest importers and wholesalers of textiles in the UK and also sell throughout Europe. After sending some of my designs to them I was asked to attend an interview. I was not offered the job as a more suitable candidate that had more experience designing bed wear got the job. But this experience was valuable as I feel more confident for when I next attend an interview, because I now know what type of questions I could be asked; they focused on questions about my experiences on work placements, especially at Graham & Brown.
     Phillip Stearns is a glitch artists and his work inspired me to create designs which were made up wholly of pixels.

Stearns, P, 2013, Fragmented Memory, Photograph, Viewed 11/03/2014, http://phillipstearns.wordpress.com/fragmented-memory/

I thought the piece below was too simple and I felt that I had seen designs like this before in fashion so I decided to work into it more. I also tested this design with the flowers in black and white to create a more muted print so your eyes are focused on the imagery and not all the bright colours, but I found that the flowers cant be distinguished as easily from each other.




     Another of Phillip Stearns designs inspired me to stretch out some of the pixels along the length of the image, distorting the flowers even more. I decided to lay the flowers on top of stripes so they didn't pop out of the plain ground so much. 

Stearns, P, 2012, Year of the Glitch, Photograph, Viewed 11/03/2014, http://rhizome.org/editorial/2013/jan/8/phillip-stearns-rhizomes-community-fundraiser/



     Flavor Paper are an American wallpaper company who create bright and lively designs. I have decided I would like some of my designs in my collection to be vivid as I have never created designs like this before. But I also recognise that some of my audience would like more muted colours so I will also offer this within my collection as well. 


Flavor Paper, 2013, Vivid Victorian, Print, Viewed 14/ 03/2014, http://www.flavorpaper.com/wallpaper/vivid-victorian

No comments:

Post a Comment