Thursday 20 December 2012

Archive design development

After choosing the paisley pattern and bird print from the archives I decided to do research into the two subjects, I first started with the paisley pattern and found the print below which reminded me of fruit cut in half, so I thought that could work well in my contemporary designs, but once I actually started looking into the history of the paisley pattern I found that in the Tamillian language, the paisley pattern design is known as Mankolam (mango design) so I thought this fitted quite well with my ideas.


Other ways I thought that the history of the paisley pattern could inspire me is that when the paisley pattern was first created, it appeared as jewellery that would be worn to the temple. It was also popular in European Baltic states and thought to be used as a protective charm to warn off evil demons.  And in modern culture it has been used as a symbol of rebellion by the youth.


No comments:

Post a Comment