Sunday 11 December 2011

Manchester Art Gallery visit

 For my initial start to the new project: Sampling, I have chose the beginners knitting workshop and jewellery as my theme. I decided to concentrate on jewellery as my theme as it is constantly around us, but mostly goes unnoticed but yet is such a beautiful art. The subject and way of forming jewellery is so broad.
     I decided to visit Manchester Art Gallery as they have on a exhibit on jewellery. It exhibits work from international artists which was produced in response to their impressions of Mexico when stranded together in April 2010 in Mexico city under the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud.


I liked this piece by Caroline Broadhead, a bracelet made from beads using traditional embroidery. This gave me the idea of using imagery in my knit, or including other materials combined with yarn to produce my knit, such as beads, ribbons or sequins. I also liked the following pieces but they did not affect me as much as theses humorous bracelets by Caroline Broadhead.

Jiro Kamata 'Arboresque' brooch. What I liked I liked about this piece is the circular pendants on this piece were camera lenses painted, I think this is an interesting way of reusing old items.

I liked this brooch by Juergen Eickhoff because of the business of it, it creates real movement. I would like to include wire in my knitting or create knitting entirely out of wire so I could create structures.

Tord Boontje 'Wednesday Cabinet' wood frame pierced with stainless steel and resin. I like this piece a lot as it looks so feminine yet the materials are harsh and cold. It reminds me of some small samples I did with gouache paint and other materials, copying different ways you can transform a sheet of metal. 



I created the top one by punching a design into the paper using a needle, and the bottom one by scattering coffee granules onto the painted  surface and dripping water on top.

I also liked these bracelets by Jason Chart- Davies made from polypropylene and brass fastenings. I like the flowing shapes of them and the monochrome colour, this is another thing I have chosen to focus on in my project. Monochrome colour, so I can then concentrate on my shapes and patterns.










No comments:

Post a Comment