Saturday 17 December 2011

Beginning experimentation with knit

I started doing research on jewellery on high street stores for inspiration. I started to think about the different patterns and images jewellers use when placing diamonds and jewels together. I found that they use heart shapes a lot in jewellery so I decided to try and recreate this shape with lace holes in knitting, but I don't think this worked very effectively as the stitches are created in a structured linear way so I couldn't create the curves of a heart. 


I then tried creating other different patterns using lace holes and ladders which are created in the same way by transferring stitches between the needles. Other ways I created patterns were by experimenting with stripes and changing the tension so the stitches change size. I chose to use cold colours to knit with as this is what          initially think of with jewellery, something cold and hard. 



This piece was created by e-wrap which adds texture and colour to a plain knit.


















No comments:

Post a Comment