Thursday 16 May 2013

Stage 5- Final Stage

     After evaluating the beginning stages of the development of my collection, I have taken into consideration that my final prints need to be a bedding set size once in repeat. I did research into the measurements of a double bedding set; which is 200cm by 200cm, I now always work to these specific measurements when putting my designs in repeat as would a bedding designer. I made sure that my previous designs don't distort or pixelate once in the correct measurements, I then altered them to these. Through this I learnt that I should always research the measurements I need to work to before starting to design.
     Through my research I found that bedding designs at the moment are very busy and colourful and the colour scheme I had chosen was very bright and vibrant, I think this was successful. I also noticed that a lot of the engineered designs were very large; taking into account the parts of the design that would come off the edge of the bed. Through the evaluation of my recent designs I knew I needed to take this into consideration when creating my final collection. This is one design I created that I made the boarders larger, taking into account the bedding hanging over the edges of the bed.

     During the past analysis of my recent designs I found that I wasn't challenging myself enough with the types of patterns I was creating, so I decided to do this so visually my final collection would be more varied. I think this was integral to my learning process and I now have a better understanding of different patterns. In the development of my final collection I incorporated mirror repeat, half drop repeat, block repeat and engineered prints. Even though I have not included all of these into my final collection I can show through my development I have a very good understanding of each of these.
 Mirror repeat- part of development.

Half drop repeat- part of development.

Block repeat- part of development.

Engineered and mirror repeat- part of development.

     I did research into how they would be printed if they went into manufacture. I already knew my designs would be digitally printed as they are so detailed and would be produced many times. But I also did research into what dyes would be used and which colour model would be used, such as RGB, CYMK or Lab colour. I found that reactive dye is usually used in digital printing as you can achieve brighter colours with these. I also studied which colour model would work best with my designs and I found that RGB would be the best as it doesn't distort the colour which is important that it is vivid.

                                                 

                                                 

An example of a colour model test- top is RGB, bottom is CYMK. CYMK distorts the colour whereas RGB is bright and vivid like original design.  
     I did research into what fabrics are used in bedding so I could have swatches of what fabric my designs could be put onto. I found that Polycotton Percale, Polyester IFR, Cotton, Waffle Cotton, Egyptian Cotton, Cotton Percale, and for a more lustrous feel, silk. I then did research into which fabrics take dye best as it is important to me that the colours are vivid. I decided that the fabric I would use for my bedding would be Cotton Percale, as I feel that it would be more appropriate for bedding than just plain cotton as it is a little stiffer but still as soft; and Silk/ Viscose satin, as I wanted a more extravagant material than Cotton Percale but with the mix of Silk with Viscose it wouldn't be as slippery on the bed as plain Silk. I found this information very important to my learning process as I know I will have to know these things when I am designing patterns for a company, as information like colour models and fabric can affect your design and the production and popularity of it once in stores. 
     During the evaluation of my previous designs I decided I wanted my designs to feel more organic like the images of earth from space, this was inspired by the piece by tactile wonderland which looks very space- like and ordered but is also organic looking with its textures. This is what I aimed for with my designs and I think I achieved due to the detail I pay to different textures, how my colour choices accentuate this; and the overlapping of some images making it feel more natural.
 An image taken from space of earth showing natural growth and textures. 

                                     
Tactile Wonderland.


One of my designs with a more natural feel of growth, created by using different tones and textures.

     For my final collection I chose six designs, they are all very different images but link together as a collection due to the colour scheme. I felt at first that I didn't have enough designs in my collection as I had created so many designs during my development stages, but I feel that each of my designs are of good enough quality to be printed onto bedding and this is the most important factor. To present my designs I have printed my two main designs onto A1 paper as all furnishing designs are printed onto either A0 or A1 paper. To show my designs to a professional standard I have printed a piece showing each over- all design, so you can see the repeat and how it would appear on the bedding set. I have also printed out a scale piece of each print so you can see how it would appear on the bedding and appreciate the textures, scale and colour. For my two main designs I have also created a visualisation to show how each would appear on a bedding set, with pillows and an underside of the duvet cover. On the Diane Harrison studio visit I noticed how the designers there created visualisations, with a simple birds eye view of the bed showing the top of the duvet cover as a square and the pillow cases at the top as two rectangles and a triangle in the corner of the duvet cover representing the underside of the duvet cover. I chose to use this idea in my representations and I think they look simple but professional.



My two main designs in visualisations and scaled images A1 size.








The rest of my final collection.

 To prepare for my presentation I have evaluated how well my presentation went during the interim assessment with the designer from Diane Harrison, I found that the designer wanted a faster overview of my development ideas, so I know for my final presentation I will have to edit some of my ideas out to keep them interested. They also liked to ask questions about my ideas so I need to make sure I am prepared for this. At the end of the presentation I will ask the designer if they have any more questions as this will show I have confidence in my designs and am happy to talk about them in a professional manner. For my presentation I want to give the designers a brief overview of my development and ideas taken from the theme we had given from them, giving them chance to ask questions at this stage, and then present to them my final collection, showing my understanding of the professional industry such as measurements, types of pattern, fabric, colour, images used and contextual research.

     Overall I have learnt a lot during this project, it has helped my understanding of the interior industry and presenting my work to a professional audience. I have learnt more about the production side of furnishing such as colour models, fabric and dyes but also the design side such as taking into account measurements, how visualisations are an important part of the design process; and challenging myself to learn different types of pattern and ways to create visual research. I learnt a lot about how professional designers work within a design company during the Diane Harrison studio visit, such as programmes they use and different ways of creating prints such as by hand instead of digitally, I will definitely use this process in future. I believe that my presentation skills on a professional level have improved due to this project as I have learnt how to give a brief overview on the most important factors and talk about professional factors affecting my work and develop on this.
     

  

No comments:

Post a Comment